“Creating content is only 5% of the job done for content publishers. The other 95% is a whole host of other things that a publisher is not prepared for,” says Gautam Anand, co-founder and CEO, Hubhopper.
Digital media has changed the way content is disseminated (or spread), because unlike traditional media, digital media is interactive and two-way. One does not merely read the news anymore, one can comment, like (or dislike), share and generally become part of any story. Content has evolved beyond just spreading this information, it has now become a repository of talent, in text, audio, video on basically every topic under the sun. Digital content publishers or new age media, thus, have a number of roles in the debate over social conversation: to generate revenue like any business, to provide content (news, features, research) across available media such as images, video, audio, and text.
Combine this fluidity of roles with the burden of retaining user attention amongst 100 Mn websites worldwide and a real problem begins to emerge. The problem though is an interesting one, i.e. presenting content in a personalised manner for different types of content consumers. And further track user activity to scale up. This is the problem that personalised content disseminator Hubhopper is trying to solve through its AI-based Saas platform.
Delhi-based Hubhopper was launched about two and a half years ago by brothers Gautam and Uday Anand. It is currently available across all digital mediums – website, mobile website, and apps (iOS and Android). The Android app in particular has seen success when it was launched on the Google Play Store and become something of a trendsetter, in the first few days itself. Hubhopper caters to both sides of the content value chain – content publishers or content creators and content consumers. Hubhopper does not distinguish between larger and smaller content publishers, for this purpose.
HubHopper: Humble Beginnings
While both Gautam and Uday come from a traditional writing background, their journey of founding Hubhopper stemmed from a very simple problem. News feeds, RSS feeds for large publishers required Gautam to switch portals and platforms in order to get all the news/information he wanted depending on the subjects of interest – such as sports, entertainment, politics, literature to name just a few. Existing content aggregators operated on a closed loop of providing content from various sources in a set format.
“Anybody who has a multitude of interests has to go through different channels and undergo different user experiences with very little continuity for content consumption. While social media is a little kinder in terms of personalising content feed, the algorithm does not work in real-time in order to provide the most localised consumption experience.”
Also, a user would like a particular kind of content provided by a publisher but not bother to download the app in order to save mobile storage space.