A Deep Dive On India’s Tech & Startup Economy
Join our exclusive community of business leaders & makers for in-depth tech stories and intelligence on India’s tech economy you won’t find elsewhere
- Fortnightly Playbooks On Upcoming Trends
- Exclusive Research Reports On Frontier Industries
- Member-Only Commentary & Newsletters
- 3x Weekly Member Exclusive Stories
- In-Depth Guides On Starting & Scaling Up By Industry Experts
- $150K+ Worth Deals & Discounts On Curated Startup Tools
- Member-Only Events
- Community Perks & More
- Enjoy A Clutter-Free Experience
- Get Deeper Access To Our Journalists
- Help Shape Our Coverage By Joining Our Community
- Support Independent Journalism
What You Get
Exclusive In-Depth Stories & Newsletters
Through a combination of articles, provocative insights, and exclusive analysis, stay informed about everything you need to shape your business decisions, both now and in the future.Join Now
Makers Academy is the only product training platform for makers and teams that uses India's top 1% practitioners as instructors. Access over 75+ hours worth of exclusive content on product from 100+ leaders & experts.
Playbooks On Upcoming Trends
Twice a month, we take you on a deep dive into the people, companies and events
defining the Indian startup economy.
Farming 3.0: India’s Mission Agritech
Once least favoured, agritech is today betted as one of the most resilient sectors. The pandemic has further pushed farmers to leverage technology offered by the startups in the space, thereby making the sector a hotspot of investments. Is India’s agritech on the brink of a permanent transformation or the newly-found success a passing cloud? This playbook explores!
India's Digital Lending Reset
India’s digital lending sector is currently in a reset mode as the contracting GDP, moratorium, & Covid-19 has forced companies to adopt digital, review credit models & more. This playbook takes a deep dive into the challenges and new pathways adopted by digital lending startups for survival and scale!
Dissecting India’s Healthtech
India's healthtech startups were growing rapidly even before the pandemic, but Covid-19 has ushered in a new age. This series dives into the trends, startups business models emerging in the wake of Covid-19.
What You'll Learn?
- A nuanced analysis of new trends and the startups spearheading healthtech revolution in India
- An extensive review of the changes brought in by technology within India's healthcare system
- How technology is making India's healthcare future-ready
India's Digital Entertainment Hype
“With the rise of the internet, “attention” became the new currency! Covid19, however, has created a paradigm shift in the way we consume content and the way people socialize online. In this playbook, we delve into the new attention economy – new models, emerging players and trends in the world of social media, news apps, audio and video streaming, online games and more.”
What You'll Learn?
- How tech is solving the decades old problems of efficiency.
- Behind the new age technologies building the India's farms of the future.
- s building tech enough? Have a ringside view on what would really drive adoption.
India's Electric Future
India is electrifying its vehicles, but is it enough to reach 30% penetration by 2030? Deep dive into what really needs to be done to help India become a 'true' EV nation.
What You'll Learn?
- The current and future market size of the electric vehicle sector and the opportunities being created to cater this burgeoning market.
- The impact on climate as a result of electrification of automobiles and the other challenges behind India's ambitious EV mission.
- What India can learn from the US & China on EV adoption.
India's Edtech Moment
Technology is upending the traditional ways of teaching and learning. What does the future of education hold?
What You'll Learn?
- How tech is redefining 21st century education as the threats of automation and the gig economy loom large.
- A deep dive into the future of teaching and learning and how edtech is redefining it.
- Indepth analysis of some of the biggest trends and companies changing the education landscape in India.
Research Reports On Frontier Industries
DataLabs helps today’s leading entrepreneurs, investors and innovators make data-backed decisions using our
insightful charts and incisive research reports on India's rapidly evolving startup economy.
Online Mattress Shoppers In India: Customer Perception Report 2021
The evolution and growth of hitherto unimpressive segments also add value to the D2C space, while new-age startups gain traction from product-savvy, quality-conscious consumers. The mattress market in India, primarily dominated by unbranded players with traditional offerings, has undergone a similar change over the past few years, witnessing a growth surge across the D2C brands developed by disruptors. As a result, major online mattress companies such as Wakefit (+7.2x), SleepyCat (+7.5x) and Sleepyhead (+53x) have seen a significant rise in their operational revenues over the last three financial years (FY18-FY20).
Like any other market, it is essential to understand customer perception towards current brands and identify the key stimuli behind purchase decisions to catalyse growth in the D2C mattress segment. And that is what we have done in our latest release — Online Mattress Shoppers In India: Customer Perception Report 2021.
Investment Tech: The Rise Of Retail Investment In India, Report 2021
The outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020 disrupted several sectors, forcing companies to shift towards digitisation to stay operational and competitive. And the same holds for investment platforms. Investment tech platforms got a much-needed boost during Covid-19 due to the rise in digitisation and the stay-at-home mandate followed by the people.
Millennials preferred investing in capital markets at a steady clip as pay losses, economic woes and increased time at home forced them to look for new income streams during the pandemic. In fact, close to 6.3 Mn demat accounts were opened during April-September 2020, taking the total count to 44.5 Mn, according to the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI). This triggered significant growth in the investment tech sector and captured the VC community’s interest.
Kerala: Driving India’s Hardware Startup Revolution Report 2021
Kerala has been India’s hardware innovation hub for a long time. The journey that took off in 1973 with Keltron — a manufacturer of various electronic products — has now culminated in a slew of new-age, innovative startups such as Sastra Robotics, VST Mobility, ASIMoV Robotics and more. Most importantly, a majority of these startups have come forward to the state’s rescue in times of crisis, be it a turbulent tale of floods, the 2018 Nipah virus outbreak or the current Covid-19 pandemic.
In this report, we give you a glimpse of Kerala’s 80+ hardware startups and the journeys and roles of enablers such as the Maker Village, Fablabs and more, in helping the state metamorphose into the largest hardware hub of India.
The State Of Indian Startup Ecosystem Report 2021
Today the Indian startup ecosystem is home to 38,815 active startups who are at the forefront of the internet revolution in India. From ecommerce to electric vehicles the Indian startups are also the torch bearer for innovation in the country.
The Inc42 Plus ‘The State Of Indian Startup Ecosystem Report 2021’ provides a holistic view of the sector, the report offers a juxtaposition of the funding, M&As and the growing number of unicorns and unicorns in the country. A comprehensive analysis of the investor ecosystem is also provided.
Indian Tech Startup Funding Report Q1 2021
In the first quarter of CY2021, Indian startups raised $2.7 Bn from 268 funding deals. However, the funding amount was 12% lower than the quarterly average (2017-2020) of $3.1 Bn.
Fintech was the most preferred startup sector in Q1 2021. Compared to the previous quarter (Q4 2020), the number of funding deals was 26% higher. It was also the top startup sector in 2020.
From a macro perspective, the overall adoption of internet-based products and services was no longer limited to Bengaluru, Delhi-NCR and Mumbai — the top three startup hubs in India. This change in the consumption pattern of the Indian public has thrown open several opportunities for tech-enabled products and services, and they are able to expand their user base beyond the digital borders of the top three startup hubs.
India’s eHealth Market Opportunity Report, 2021
With the Covid-19 outbreak in 2020, several sectors were disrupted and urged to shift towards digitisation to stay operational and competitive in the new environment. Among them, healthcare was one of the most impacted sectors. However, new-age technologies have dramatically transformed the sector and eHealth is growing at a fast clip. India’s healthcare industry had made significant progress in the last few years. But the pandemic has accelerated its growth as never before.
As Covid-induced lockdowns across the country mandated staying at home, people started shifting to online platforms for doctor consultations, diagnostics, and fitness and wellness solutions. Moreover, the government released its telemedicine guidelines in the early phase of lockdowns, thus triggering the growth of telemedicine startups in India. This also attracted the interest of the VC community and the eHealth sector in India took a quantum leap in terms of reach and excellence.
$150K+ worth of deals, discounts and free access to a hand-picked set of essential
products and services for entrepreneurs to start and accelerate your growth.
Get $50K Credits For Mixpanel Product Analytics
$ 50,000 Value
With Mixpanel, digital businesses innovate and grow faster by analyzing, measuring and improving their product experiences.
Mixpanel : Get $50K Credits For Mixpanel Product Analytics
Great customer experiences and innovation are driven by data.
Mixpanel helps anyone answer questions about user behavior in seconds, without analytics expertise. This enables product development teams to act faster to improve experiences, engage users and drive growth.
Eligible startups get $50,000 in credits towards the Mixpanel Growth plan. The credits will be valid for 1 year and cover costs for the plan as well as additional data fees.
The Mixpanel Startup Program is available if you were founded less than 2 years ago, have raised no more than $5M in funding, and are not currently on any of Mixpanel's paid plans.
*This offering can be redeemed as per Mixpanel’s eligibility rules & discretion.
Upto 90% Off On HubSpot Software
$ 60,000 Value
HubSpot offers a full stack of software for marketing, sales, and customer service, with a completely free CRM at its core.
HubSpot For Startups : Upto 90% Off On HubSpot Software
1. A startup with under $2 Mn in funding | You are eligible for up to 90% off HubSpot software in your first year, 50% off in your second, and 25% off ongoing.
2. A startup who has raised over $2 Mn in named funding up to and including Series A | You are eligible for up to 50% off in your first year, and 25% off ongoing.
Education Resources & Tailored Training: Content, masterclasses, and 24/7 support to get your startup growing. From board deck templates to quick tips on customer acquisition, this content is made just for you. Plus, you’ll have access to world-class support from HubSpot experts and startup-friendly onboarding experience.
Professional Software, Startup Pricing: Access to HubSpot Growth Platform, a full suite of software for marketing, sales, and customer service, with a completely free CRM at its core at a startup-friendly price, to help you grow and scale better. The software grows as you do, so you have access to in-person product training, too.
Integrated Platform For Startups: Access to over 200 software integrations, many at startup-friendly pricing, as well as the opportunity to build integration on the HubSpot platform.
1. The HSFS startup-friendly pricing is only applicable to net-new HubSpot Hubs or upgrades of existing Starter subscriptions to Basic, Professional, or Enterprise products; customers may not apply the startup program pricing to existing Basic, Professional, or Enterprise Hubs.
*This offering can be redeemed as per HubSpot For Startups’ eligibility rules & discretion.
Get Upto $50K In Segment Credits
$ 50,000 Value
Segment lets you collect and connect your analytics data to apps like Google Analytics, Amplitude, etc. without having to write integration code.
Segment Startup Program : Get Upto $50K In Segment Credits
Get up to $50K in Segment credits (enough to track 200,000 users for - free for up to two years!)
You can avail the Segment’s Team Plan If You Are:
1. Early Stage (2-3 years old)
2. Raised less than $5M
*This offering can be redeemed as per Segment’s eligibility rules & discretion.
$45K Worth Of Payout Credits On RazorpayX
$ 45,000 Value
RazorpayX is a neobanking platform that helps businesses manage their finances efficiently and make timely payouts.
RazorpayX : $45K Worth Of Payout Credits On RazorpayX
1. RazorpayX is a neobanking platform that helps businesses manage their finances efficiently and make timely payouts using an intuitive dashboard or powerful APIs
2. In addition to standard banking features, RazorpayX’s Current Accounts come equipped with API Banking, Approvals Workflow, Enterprise-Grade Security & Support, and CRM-level Financial Insights to help you save time and money while you run the show
3. Start with RazorpayX today with zero setup cost and enjoy benefits up to $55,000 on Razorpay's suite of robust payment solutions
*This offering can be redeemed as per RazorpayX’s eligibility rules & discretion.
Get 1 Year Of Amplitude For Free
$ 40,000 Value
Amplitude is a product intelligence platform that provides digital product tools that help teams run and grow their businesses.
Amplitude : Get 1 Year Of Amplitude For Free
1. Get enough data to help you in your product-market fit journey with access to 20 Mn events per month.
2. Get full access to Amplitude’s paid growth plan, with features including behavioural cohorts, predictive analytics, advanced collaboration, & more.
1. Your company was launched less than 2 years ago
2. You’ve received less than $5 Mn in funding
3. You have fewer than 20 employees
4. You are not an existing Amplitude customer
5. You have never used Amplitude’s Startup Scholarship before
*This offering can be redeemed as per Amplitude’s eligibility rules & discretion.
$10K Credits On Razorpay Payment Gateway
$ 10,000 Value
Razorpay lets you accept payments from customers, automate payouts to vendors & borrow quick business loans.
Razorpay : $10K Credits On Razorpay Payment Gateway
1. Razorpay enables businesses like you to stay on top of your game with our complete range of out of the box solutions be it for accepting payments on the website, apps, SMS, or even automatically via subscription mandates
2. Razorpay is the only financial solution in India which provides advanced features like neo banking, capital lending, payroll management, and an AI-enabled RTO loss mitigator for its merchants
3. Start with Razorpay today with zero setup cost and enjoy benefits up to $55,000 on Razorpay's suite of robust payment solutions
*This offering can be redeemed as per Razorpay’s eligibility rules & discretion.
Guides On Starting & Scaling Up
Learn through our comprehensive guides, how to validate your startup idea,
acquire your first customer, secure funding, and more.
Founders’ Guide To Building ESOPs
ESOP (employee stock ownership plan) buybacks have gained immense popularity in India in recent years. But in spite of ESOPs gaining momentum in Indian private markets, several startups are still unsure about the concept of wealth sharing. Some do not understand how the ESOP ecosystem works while others fail to identify the right way of implementing an ESOP policy.
In this guide, we aim to take startup founders through every aspect of ESOPs, right from various clauses in the ESOP policy and ESOP scheme document to the ESOP process flow, success stories and much more.
The guide will act as the ultimate resource for formulating your ESOP policy and updating it at different stages.
What You'll Learn?
- How to draft an ESOP policy
- How to grant ESOPs at your startup
- How to evolve ESOP pool across stages
- How ESOP vesting works
- How taxation works
- ESOP templates and more
Decoding Term Sheets For Early Stage Startups
Investment term sheets always end up becoming a complex topic for early stage startups.
This guide will help founders get familiarised with the first document they receive from an investor as an offer to invest in the company which typically contains everything material in relation to the valuation, investment details, rights of the investor, restrictive covenants and exit commitments. The guide also talks about a new form of CCPS — “iSAFE”.
Reading this will help startups raising seed or Pre Series A funding prepare for what is coming inevitably and help navigate through the most commonly used terms, the process involved and typical investor asks!
What You'll Learn?
- Understanding how to structure terms to meet the interests of both startups and investors
- The crucial terms included in the early stage term sheets and their impact
- The process involved and typical investor asks
- Importance of various types of shares, capitalisation table & other key terms
- How “iSAFE” works
- Along with, term sheet templates & more
Building And Scaling Up A Digital Retail Brand
With the lockdown rules bringing down the shutters on many offline stores, retail brands have been forced to open or scale online stores to reach consumers. With footfall and retail visits expected to remain low for months, a permanent shift in consumer behaviour towards online buying is inevitable. Thus, it is time for retail brands to also embrace the D2C way of life and use online tools to go directly to the consumer!
This guide aims to help brands and offline retailers to build and scale up their digital or D2C brand seamlessly.
The guide will help you understand the various opportunities, options for brands, managing the supply chain, automation across business processes, optimising marketing to maximise reach and more.
What You'll Learn?
- Building your retail D2C online brand
- Using digital tools & analytics to accelerate your digital strategy
- How to go about digital payments
- Introduction to managing your logistics for digital customers
- Customer acquisition & marketing strategies to scale up
- Legal & compliance knowledge
15+ Hours Of Insights & Learnings From India’s Top Product Leaders & Experts You Won’t Find Elsewhere!
Join a community of 1000s of leaders & makers and unlock additional member-only benefits
Why Inc42 Plus
Inc42 Plus helps you get ahead with unlimited access to Inc42, member-only stories & newsletters, premium research & reports, startup deals & how-to's, member-only events and more.
Join a growing list of industry leaders and makers who’ve joined to gain an edge, make smarter decisions, and connect with the people who matter.Learn More
As a member you’ll receive:
- Deep dives into the companies, people, and trends that are reshaping the global economy, and defining the future.
- Content formats include essays, data visualisations, podcasts, interviews, videos, and more.
- Regular features delivered with expert perspective exploring landmark shifts in technology and modern life.
- Weekly conference calls with our reporters and editors to answer our readers’ most pressing questions. Help our journalists ask the tough questions that matter.
- Invitations to exclusive in-person events, networking opportunities, and engagement with industry leaders shaping the future.
We offer annual memberships only.
You can read a selection of Inc42.com content for free each month. For accessing unlimited stories, analysis, deep dives and member exclusive stories, membership is required.
Yes! When your team (5+ people) become members, you save. Email [email protected] for more information.
Account & Billing
Inc42 Plus membership is priced at INR 9,999/year and is billed annually.
We currently accept all major credit and debit cards, including but not limited to Visa, MasterCard and Maestro. We plan to support additional payment methods in the near future to make the payment process as seamless as possible. Please reach out to us [email protected] if you are interested in a team or corporate membership plan.
Please write to us at [email protected] detailing the payment error or queries, along with screenshots (if required).
No, our annual membership offerings are limited to individual-use only and sharing is strictly prohibited. In case, your account is being accessed concurrently by multiple IPs, it will lead to termination of your membership and any existing payments will be non-refundable.
When cancelling your membership, all charges associated with your future membership will be cancelled. You may notify us of your intent to cancel at any time; your cancellation will become effective at the end of your current billing period. You will not receive a refund, prorated or otherwise, for the remainder of the term. However, your membership access and/or delivery and accompanying membership benefits will continue for the remainder of the current billing period.
Reports by Inc42 Plus can be accessed via your Inc42 Plus membership through on our website only. We, unfortunately, do not offer report downloads at this time to prevent the unauthorised distribution of the files.
You should have received an email communication with details on accessing the report/subscription and the next steps from [email protected] In case you still have any queries, please email us at [email protected]
All the deals are directly offered by the Startup Deals Partners and can be redeemed as per their eligibility rules & discretion. In case you have any queries, please reach out to the Partner directly.
The terms and conditions for each deal are mentioned along with each deal and are enforced by our partners directly.
Email us at [email protected] and we’ll figure out how to best help you! Any questions or concerns are welcome. Please see our Terms & Conditions to learn more about our billing and user policies.