Ankit is the Co-Founder of SoftwareSuggest.com, a business software discovery platform made for Indian companies. We help small and medium business select the right software.
Content Marketing is a constant process that is best incorporated into your business marketing strategy, and it focuses on owning media, not leasing it.
Basically, content marketing is the art of interacting with your potential and existing customers, without selling. It is called non-interruption marketing, where instead of pitching your products or services, you are conveying information that makes your buyer more intelligent in that domain. The crux of this content strategy is the certainty that if we, as businesses, provide dependable, continuous valuable information to buyers, it is eventually remunerated with more business and loyalty. Good content marketing makes a person stop…read… think… behave… differently.
Some of the best marketing organizations in the world, such as P&G, Microsoft and Cisco Systems, use extensive content marketing strategies. Startups especially should never avoid Content Marketing, it’s one of the most effective marketing techniques that can be executed without spending a penny.
Here are 6 reasons why content Marketing is a necessity for every Startup:
- It improves your SEO: We started SoftwareSugget.com, with a thought serving our clients in the best possible manner to achieve success. Two months down the line when we realized that we need to make Google happy too – someone who will never be a customer, but will be the best referral opportunity. The focus shifted to getting our SEO algorithm right. We started publishing curated articles on our blogs and this provided the much required “mentions” of online presence. It improved our rank in the Search Engine Results Page (SERP), eventually making it a good SEO technique.
- It improves the Referral traffic to your website: Try and get your articles on popular and relevant media channels. By doing so, you make your content act as your very own recommendation engine. A brilliant piece of content will make a lasting impression on your potential / existing customers. So as long as you include the right calls to action, the audience that engages with your content will be more likely to visit your website. But beware; a poorly executed content can also become your own critique.
- Top of The Mind Space: For any business to become successful, it is very important to have the top of the mind space of the prospective customer. It is not wise to hit your prospects with the same message to visit your website, every week. Replace it with good content. Each time you publish a new information over the internet, a new gate opens for your followers to engage with the information and the actions associated with it. This indirectly helps in creating a top of mind approach.
- A Possibility of Going Viral: What happens when a notable figure or organization, from the same community, shares or tweets about your article? The following of your content might become viral in a matter of minutes. This helps you get reviews from within the community and possibly from notable followers of the community.
- Opportunity to Establish Authority: When your article gets published, the audience sees you as a subject matter expert. This gives a sense to the readers that your company (or its employees) are authorised to publish such content and look forward to trust the material. In the long run, your company is established as authority in the domain. A perfect example is that of KissMetrics and Neil Patel.Neil Patel’s blog is one of the best repository to learn Search engine optimisation. His content has established him as an authority in the search engine optimisation space and has inturn acted medium to increase his companies cliental.
- Networking & Relationship Building: An excellent content strategy also allows you to break-ice between you and your competitors and also with potential investors. Posting on business networking sites like LinkedIn can help a lot to develop relevant contacts with businesses or individuals who share similar enthusiasm for the domain.
The above 6 ways are the benefits my startup could get from content marketing. Do add as comment the other benefits content marketing can have for a startup.