2015 watched the consistently growing popularity of push notifications and it would continue to improve this year. With a striking open rate of up to 80% and push-enabled apps enjoying an impressive engagement rate of up to 88%, there are valid reasons for every mobile app to have push notifications. Let’s elaborate more about what make them truly beneficial in a number of ways.
Push notifications facilitate incredible user retention. How? A mobile app has high probability of getting lost in the sea of applications installed on a device. By regularly sending notifications via push-enabled mobile apps, you can actually encourage the app users to ‘come back’ to the app and use it more often. It would happen provided the notifications have great value in terms of information, updates or offers. If that happens, you may retain users for long term and there are fewer chances of them deleting the app.
Mobile users, who are increasing exponentially every year, want to be engaged all the time. Considering that there might be hundreds of other apps ready to beat your app in this regard, it’s essential for you to follow an aggressive approach of keeping the users glued to your app. Apart from having a fabulous app design and functionality, having push technology at place should open some exciting ways to engage them.
Direct Marketing Channel
Push messages have emerged as a capable medium of direct marketing landscape that was earlier owned by the techniques like email and SMS marketing. Mobile marketers now have a new and exciting way to deliver promotional messages, special deals, discounts and coupons, retail incentives and much more to generate leads and improve sales. This further brings onboard a number of push notification benefits, like:
- Fast Delivery: Messages are instantly flashed in the form of sounds, alerts, banners or badges via mobile apps which means that the recipients may access them within seconds.
- Fast Response: By including coupons, links and other elements in the notifications, you may generate quick action from the targets.
- Location-based Targeting: Geo targeting and geo-fencing are the buzz words when it comes to mobile-based direct marketing. Push technology allows marketers to know the exact locations of app users and send relevant messages with higher chances of generating quick response.
- In-store Targeting: Just like location-based targeting, in-store targeting is also possible with push. For example, an app user at a retail store may be targeted with the latest and the hottest in the store using push notifications.
Amazing Communication Channel
While direct marketing is just one way to use push technology for communication, there is much more to it. For example:
- New features and updates about the gaming apps are extremely easier to communicate using push messages.
- It can also be a great channel to announce new launches that may include a new app you have developed or a new product at your store.
- Breaking news, stock updates, sports scores, upcoming events and many such important pieces of information can be sent directly to the mobile users.
- Links to new articles and blogs can be instantly shared to increase the number of readers.
- Push notifications can be used to convey new posts, statuses and other useful information posted on the popular social media websites. It can be further beneficial in encouraging social media sharing.
The beauty of push messages is that these are non-obtrusive which allows the app users to have the full control. There are two aspects to it: