India stands sixth in the mobile gaming market globally, with 326 Mn active users. Besides the obvious factors like the internet penetration and convenience of smartphones, the Covid-19 pandemic also contributed to making India a $1.2 Bn mobile gaming market.
While mobile games like Free Fire, Call of Duty, Fortnite, Knives Out and Clash Of Clans ruled the market for years, the lockdown gave people a chance to connect with casual games such as Ludo, Words With Friends and Carrom.
Surprisingly, it is no longer just the gaming companies like Gametion, Nazara or Rolocule ruling the sector. A large number of new startups have emerged in this space and are banking on this massive user base for exponential growth.
The Dialogue: Tapping The Mobile Gaming Rush Of India’s Next Billion
To help mobile gaming startups understand the trends and opportunities, Inc42 hosted The Dialogue on ‘Tapping The Mobile Gaming Rush Of India’s Next Billion’.
Moderated by Chinmaya Saxena, Venture Partner at BEENEXT, the discussion hosted Derrick Loi, General Manager – Apps & Infra, Azure Solutions Business, Microsoft Asia; WinZO’s cofounder and CEO, Paavan Nanda; Paytm First Games’ COO, Sudhanshu Gupta, and Octro Inc.’s president and CEO, Saurabh Aggarwal.
Key highlights from this edition of The Dialogue:
- Understanding the landscape and the pillars of the mobile gaming industry – developers, publishers and service platforms
- Trends and opportunities in the mobile gaming segment in India
- How startups are leveraging tech in the sector to improve UX, drive engagement, ensure user retention and much more
- Monetisation models which can help push India’s mobile gaming ARPU of around $8
- Building gaming-specific big data analytics and AI tools