Some may call it ASO (App Store Optimization) but in simple words its getting the basics right.
Related Article: 10 Time Tested Ways to Boost Download Numbers for Your App
- App Title — Use the title to convey the most important function of your app. Your apps appearance in search result is heavily dependent ton this Recommended even more if your app name is not a regular known word. For eg. Whoots or Pluck or Mosaic should ideally be renamed as “Whoots — Send Gifts”, “Pluck — Make Friends” & “Mosaic — Enhance Photos” would work better
- App Description — This is your best chance to impress the app store’s search algorithm. Use the most relevant, crisp description covering each keyword your users are likely to associate with your app. Dont use keywords for the sake of it — try to make it a part of your native description. Do not repeat words (Google Play recently changed its content policy to disallow this)
- Screenshots — Nothing works better than a good visual impression. Select the best looking screens of your app. Also create custom screens to showcase your features in a visual way.
- App Icon — Make it iconic. Icon is the first thing a user would see and it has to stand out. Dont clutter and don’t write too much text on it. Also try placing your icon among various app icons and do a look test.
- Include Video — Google Play allows you to add a video. Works really well if you have a paid app and someone wants to be 100% sure before spending a money then video comes to the rescue. 20 seconds video can narrate what 4000 word description can’t.
- Reviews & Ratings — Make full use of your network on Facebook, Twitter & close friends to get them review & rate your app. Reviews play an important role in improving your rank. Get your friends to review your app (don’t force them to post positive review as thats your best chance to get some real feedback). Ensure that you reply to every negative review on Google Play. Replying to review is not possible on Apple store
- App Reviews on Blogs /Review Sites— Get as many bloggers/journalists to review your app and post it on their blogs and link it to the App Store from there.
- Incoming Links — Google Play gives great importance to multiple incoming links to Play store App description page. It tells Google that your app is popular and it bumps up the rank over the due course.
- Submit your App Everywhere — For Android, Google is not the only App store available. There are over 50 stores worldwide including AmazonApp Store. Make sure you that you submit your app everywhere. You can use Inmobi App Publish service for free — http://www.inmobi.com/products/app-publish/. Also dont forget to submit your app for Facebook App Center — https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2012/05/09/introducing-the-app-center/
- Create Hype/PR — This is the trickiest but can prove most effective. Get influencers to talk about your app. Get some big sites to cover your app. Hype alone can give you hyper growth in initial phase. Just network
And there is a little hack (not officially verified but it works) — Integrate Google+ sign in your apps and webpage to allow OTA install. Play Store gives extra importance to apps using this feature.