Ecommerce giant, Snapdeal has partnered with Himachal Pradesh Government to launch a special ecommerce zone at Dharamshala with the consent of Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, Sh. Virbhadra Singh and Minister of Housing, Urban Development and Town & Country Planning, Sh. Sudhir Sharma.
Speaking about the initiative, Kunal Bahl, Co-founder and CEO Snapdeal, said “With the Special Ecommerce Zone we are looking at invigorating and mainstreaming local economies by linking and assisting them to harness the potential of the internet. This offers multi-dimensional digital initiatives like creating online entrepreneurs, information technology training camps, outsourcing to local information technology companies, establishment of a Snapdeal technology innovation Lab and promoting traditional state handicrafts through a specially curated online store for Himachali handicrafts. ”
Snapdeal has initiated the following activities to build capacities in Dharmashala:
- Snapdeal Dharmashala Store: A curated store on Snapdeal hosting traditional products such as Tankha Paintings, Kangra Arts, Handicrafts from Buddhist traditions and organic products.
- Training workshop and pick up facilities: To make local artisans and manufacturers ecommerce ready, Snapdeal is hosting training workshops to educate them about online selling processes. Snapdeal will also on-board these local artisans and manufacturers to enable them sell products locally as well as nationally. Also, a special pick up facility has been set up to help new sellers transport products to customers across the country.
- Outsourcing IT services: Snapdeal is also outsourcing a part of its image tagging processes to ITES start-up Development Logics,based in Dharmshala.
- Partnering with Local Start-ups forCo-habitation: For co-habitation of employees, Snapdeal has tied up with another Dharamshala based local IT start-up Gai Technologies.
- Snapdeal Technology Lab: Snapdeal is building up a technology lab, equipped with computers, robotic kits, technology enabled toys at Dayananda Model Senior Secondary School to enhance students’ interests in science and technology.
Snapdeal has always been the friend of small and medium sized buisnesses through its site listing. Now, with this special ecommerce zone, Snapdeal plans to create business expansion and employment opportunities for the residents of Dharamshala and also to build the most impactful digital commerce ecosytem in India.
Welcome to Flash Feed, your essential source for breaking news and innovation from around the web – bite-sized and updated all day.