According to APAC State of Mobile Advertising report from Opera Mediaworks in partnership with the Mobile Marketing Association for Q2 2015, smartphone use in the Asia Pacific region continues to grow at par with the rest of the world. In the report Opera has referred India, Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines as the “P4” (Power 4) sub-region
Sample Size: 400 million unique users on the Opera Mediaworks platform
Highlights of The Report:
- India amongst top three data consuming countries in the APAC sub-region. The other three are Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines
- P4 has witnessed 545% increase in smartphone adoption since 2013
- Over 76% of users in P4 countries in the APAC sub-region access internet via mobile.
- Android captures majority market share, out of various mobile operating software
According to Vikas Gulati, Managing Director, Asia, Opera Mediaworks, “India remains one of the most exciting markets in Asia when it comes to smartphone adoption and rapid shift of consumers to make mobile as primary screen. Mobile advertising, on the other hand, is highly underrepresented in India and there is a massive opportunity for advertisers to connect with the prime prospects, deliver rich and meaningful experiences at a time and place when it matters the most.”
- Android captures majority market share with more than 60% of traffic in APAC and over 55% in India.
- India has higher than average video-ad impressions across Asia, about 0.68:1
Highlights of the State of Mobile Advertising report according to demographics and behavior of the average mobile users:
- In India, 9 out of 10 mobile users are male.
- 50% of users in India are between 18-23 years old, average user age being under 23
- The most visited mobile sites and apps are in the Social Networking category by P4 countries
- Indian users visit sites and apps that serve Music, Video, Media & Entertainment content most followed by technology content.
- The top three countries in the P4 region in terms of average data consumption are Vietnam consuming 90Mb, Indonesia consuming 65 Mb and India consuming 60 Mb per month.
Highlights of the State of Mobile Advertising report according to Revenue winners and emerging mobile ad formats:
- Business, Finance & Investing publishers account for 42% of revenue paid to mobile publishers across the P4 region.
- In India, Social Networking sites and apps provide the highest number of impressions for advertisers, followed by News & Information and Sports category.
- The impressions of advertising on Communication Services is as much as 15x higher for revenue compared globally.