Cricbuzz, a division of Times Internet, has launched a new World Cup section across web and mobile, to capitalize on the major wave of upcoming cricket, with the World Cup and IPL over the next 4 months.
Cricbuzz has grown out to be the largest mobile app for cricket news and scores in India. During IPL 2014, Cricbuzz was used by over 50 million people, with more than 80% of users on their mobile devices. In January, Cricbuzz users spent over 2.5 billion minutes on the Cricbuzz app (just under 5000 years!), generating 2.6 billion page views.
The new World Cup release features a number of major new features, including:
Related Article: Times Internet Acquires Cricbuzz, Will be Merged With GoCricket
- ‘Timelines’: go through well-crafted timelines of each tournament since 1975, to relive epic moments
- ‘Records’: the most interesting cricket stats and figures, with a log of past WC matches
- ‘Captains and Kits’: a collection of caricatures of team captains for the last 30 years
- ‘Your Team’: sections dedicated to each team, with history, stats, and easy access
- ‘The Venue’: information on the cities & venues of matches
And as always, Cricbuzz will feature the best editorial content and the fastest scores and alerts. With live reporting straight from the tournament, Cricbuzz will make sure users have the best insights at their fingertips.
Last week, the Cricbuzz app crossed 10 Mn downloads, making it the first sports app in India to do so. It surpassed the size of its nearest competition by nearly four times. Cricbuzz is now in the top 5 sports apps globally, behind ESPNScoreCenter and the official apps of FIFA and the NFL.
In November, last year, Times Internet had acquired Cricbuzz for an undisclosed amount. Cricbuzz was founded in 2004 by Pankaj Chhaparwal, Piyush Agrawal, and Pravin Hegde.