As part of our InFocus series, Indian Startup Hubs, we’ve already covered the ecosystems of Pune, Mumbai & Bangalore. This week we focus on the second biggest Indian startup ecosystem, i.e Delhi and NCR. Earlier this week, we covered some of the amazing growth stage Delhi & NCR based startups. Now we bring to you the list of startups that have crossed the chasm and have been able to get past the Series A crunch, doing phenomenally well and have made the city proud.
Here are some interesting facts:
- In Delhi & NCR, there are 27 startups that have crossed their Series B round.
- Delhi-based MakeMyTrip was amongst the first generation Indian startups that went public.
- Out of the total number of startups that have crossed Series B, over 10 fall under the ecommerce category.
- Sequoia came out to be the most active VC firm in Delhi with investments in over 7 startups; followed by Saif & Nexus who have invested in 4 startups each.
- Delhi is also home to Rocket Internet backed startups like Jabong (raised over $70 Mn) & Fabfurnish (raised over $30 Mn) who have raised huge fundings from Rocket Internet and others.
- Ixigo is yet another Delhi-based startup that has raised about $18.5 Mn funding from SAIF Partners & MakeMyTrip.
Lets have a look at the Delhi & NCR based startups that managed to get an exit. Here are some quick facts:
1. Out of the total 11 startups that got acquired, only 5 of them had raised a seed round and maximum of the acquired companies hadn’t raised any funding before getting acquired.
2. Times Internet Limited came out to be the most active acquirer in Delhi having acquired two startups in Delhi & NCR, including Musicfellas & Dineout.
Stay tuned for the next part of this series in which we will shed light on the key ecosystem builders of the Delhi startup scene!